Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Old sugar bear (Bill Frisell) (LP 585 - 586)

Bill Frisell gone, just like a train (CD, Nonesuch, 1998) ****

Bill Frisell Unspeakable (CD, Nonesuch, 2004) ****

GenreJazz (filed in the ECM label section, as that's where he started his career and I have a compilation of his three ECM albums - so I wanted them all together - such is my system for filing records and CDs!) 

Places I remember: Middle East and Virgin Megastores in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles
: Lookout For Hope (gone, just like a train)

Gear costumeStringbean (Unspeakable)

Active compensatory factors: I love it when musicians make it all appear effortless - I'm thinking of Ry Cooder, J J Cale, and Bill Frisell.

I've selected a couple of my favourites above which are sort of jazz fusion at work (one of my preferred genres), but Bill is very adaptable and varied in his approach - hence another reason for positioning him in the ECM collection rather than the jazz fusion one.

His acoustic guitar style verges on being ambient at times, and I really like that too.

Where do they all belong? Selected Recordings on ECM is your next stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment