Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Critical acclaim (Avenged Sevenfold) (LP 398)

Avenged Sevenfold Avenged Sevenfold (CD, Warners Bros., 2007) ***

Genre: Metal

Places I remember: Virgin megastore (Dubai Mall)


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Almost Easy





Gear costume:  Afterlife 

Active compensatory factors: The album replicates the Metallica idea - plain cover (in this case white) and eponymous title, who in turn stole the idea from The Beatles (a.k.a. the white album).


Like Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold gained my patronage as a result of that ploy (albeit for the one album). And I guess, if people like me buy it,  that explains why true metal-heads regard this as a sell out of sorts.

Shrug.

Almost Easy was my entry point. A great repeated lyric - I'm not insane...and, come back to me - it's almost easy! Slashing guitars from the wonderfully named Synyster Gates, great vocals from M. Shadows and The Rev's inspired drumming (it's his song so I guess he was invested - haha) make this a killer track.


Where do they all belong? I perservered through to Nightmare which I've subsequently sold. This one will do though - all of what I like about modern metal is present and correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment