Saturday, April 4, 2020

Ray of light (Benny Green) (LP 399)

Ray Brown Some of My Best Friends Are... The Piano Players (CD, Telarc Jazz, 1995) ***

Genre: Piano jazz 

Places I remember: Inherited from Graham Purdy's collection


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: 
My Romance




Gear costume:  Giant Steps, Ray Of Light, How Come You do Me?  

Active compensatory factors: I love piano jazz albums, and that comes from my dad. Some people reckon that listening to classical music is the best for studying, but for me, it's always been piano jazz compilations.


This album acts as something of a compilation set, as it has a variety of genius pianists playing with the core rhythm section of Ray Brown on bass and Lewis Nash on drums. 

Those pianists: Benny Green; Ahmad Jamal; Geoff Keezer; Dado Maroni; and Oscar Peterson. Phew - quite a line-up.

The highlights come along regularly - Dado Moroni on Mr Romance, Benny Green on Ray Of Light and the Oscar Peterson tracks St Tropez and How Come You Do Me? are all wonderful expressions of jazz artistry.


Where do they all belong? This set leads off the piano jazz section in the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment