Monday, March 16, 2020

A day in the life (The Beatles) (LP 393)

The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Vinyl and various CDs, Parlophone, 1967) *****

Genre: The Beatles are, of course, their own genre. 

Places I remember: The record store within David Jones department store in Sydney, Australia, is, I believe - the place. My family was on holiday - we stayed in King's Cross (this is back in the day - so family friendly hotels were a thing in King's Cross then) and travelled into the CBD to shop. I have some distinct memories of the trips (I think we did three over the period from 1968 to 1973). Dad had business meetings in Sydney and we tagged along and went shopping with mum. It was the first time we'd experienced underground train stations, donut making machines, colour TV (Yellow Submarine was playing on TV on day and I couldn't watch it all because they family was going out to explore Sydney), and record bars in huge department stores. I saw the gatefold Sgt Pepper sleeve on display and was a little disappointed to see it was a single sleeve when I bought my copy.


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: All these Pepper songs are so well known but the stand out track is undoubtedly A Day In The Life.





Gear costume:  I love these songs but Getting Better just keeps getting better with age and Within You Without You is always rewarding of the lesser known tracks.  

Active compensatory factors: Screeds have been written about this album (best of all time?) but I'm yet to see anyone address the APOSTROPHE CONTROVERSY.


Check your copy - the drum skin on the cover HAS NO APOSTROPHE! 

The spine of my vinyl copy - same!! This is corrected mostly in CD editions on the labels but that drum skin remains.

It must have driven John nuts!

What is going on???

Where do they all belong? A peak, or should I say, another peak!

No comments:

Post a Comment