Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Appassionata (LP 78)

Beethoven Sonata For Piano Nos. 17, 23 & 26 (CD - Point Classics, 1994) ****

Genre: Classical

Places I remember: The Warehouse (Cambridge)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles/ Gear costume: For the second time in a week, shock/horror, it's the total package that rates highly on the gear-o-meter.




Active compensatory factors: When I was working at Marbecks Records back in the eighties, I bought a box set of Beethoven's symphonies, because I figured I should, and tried hard to get into them. I felt like I needed to 'get' classical music. I struggled.

They didn't do a lot for me and I told Roger Marbeck. He suggested I try the piano sonatas instead, so I did. Lo and behold, I found them to be much more to my taste (what taste I have that is).

Why? The comparative simplicity, I guess. I'm a simple guy and I could easily understand the simple beauty of the sonata. 

I sold the symphony box set - it was wasted on me. But I continue to listen to the piano sonatas. Yes, I do!

This CD brings together three very famous ones (from the middle period of his 32 sonatas).

Where do they all belong? Between Bach and Brahms.

No comments:

Post a Comment