Sunday, December 25, 2016

Rebel music (Bob Marley) (LP 76)

Bob Marley Natty Dread (CD - Tuff Gong, 1996) ****

Genre: Reggae

Places I remember: The Warehouse, Cambridge

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Them Belly Full (But We Hungry). The combination of reggae's joy (forget your troubles and dance) and pointed political message/ warning (a hungry mob is an angry mob) comes through loud and clear.




Gear costume: Lively Up Yourself, No Woman No Cry

Active compensatory factors: I was a relative late comer to the joys of reggae in general and Bob Marley in particular.

Working at Marbeck's Records gave me access to so many sounds I may not have otherwise heard. In this case it was listening to the Live! (at the Lyceum) album, after reading reviews of it in Sounds, that drew me into those joys.

I have had to backtrack to the studio albums over time. I do not have all of them by any means. I am not a Marley completist. But I do have the heavy hitters and Natty Dread is a heavy hitter.

No more Peter Tosh or Bunny Wailer, this was the first Marley album to move away from the Wailers tag and add his own name. 

It's aged well!

Where do they all belong? Next up - Rastaman Vibration.

No comments:

Post a Comment