Thursday, December 15, 2016

A smooth one (Kenny Burrell) (LP 73)

Kenny Burrell A Generation Ago Today (Vinyl - Verve, 1967) *** 

Genre: Jazz

Places I remember: From my father's collection.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Rose Room (Carter and Tate in sparkling form)




Gear costume: Stompin' at the Savoy.

Active compensatory factors: My dad was a big Benny Goodman fan, less so of jazz guitar (more a piano guy), so I can see the appeal this album had for him as this album features some of the standards associated with Goodman.

I'm also not much of a jazz guitar guy (more piano and sax) so I don't recall playing this album much as I was growing up. Charlie Christian is also the inspiration here for Kenny but I'm not familiar enough with the work of Christian to appreciate the debt owed.

The stellar line up of Ron Carter (bass) and Grady Tate (drums) is augmented by Phil Woods on sax (described hilariously as a 'capable saxophonist' in the liner notes) and for me, it's these three musicians who make this all sound so effortless.

Where do they all belong? File this one under 'cool jazz'.

No comments:

Post a Comment