Monday, April 4, 2016

I been in my mind, it's such a fine mind (Neil Young) #536 - 539

Stereophonics Have A Nice Day/ Surprise/  Piano For A Stripper/ Heart Of Gold (live)/ Have A Nice Day (live)  (V2, 2001)
Stereophonics Step On My Old Size Nines (live)/ Everyday I Think Of Money (live)/ Just Looking (live)/ Caravan Holiday (live)/ Everyday I Think Of Money (live/ video)  (V2, 2001)
Stereophonics Mr Writer (live)/ Hurry Up And Wait (live)/  Don't Let Me Down (live)  (V2, 2001)
Stereophonics Moviestar (live)/ The Bartender And The Thief (live)/  Help Me (She's Out Of Her Mind) (live)/ Behind the scenes (tour video)  (V2, 2004)

Part two of the Stereophonics CD experience kicks off (and peaks early) with the sublime Have a Nice Day then it's a live, largely acoustic, trip through the other A sides.

They are fine, especially the sentimental tinge to Size Nines but Have a Nice Day stands out - great singalong material with Kelly Jones in fine form.

Hidden gems: Again, it's the covers that provide the real gold here. My favourite Beatles song - Don't Let Me Down is given an acoustic treatment which strips the song to a heartfelt plea and kinda accentuates Lennon's double entendre of she done me good: the sexual and the intangible idea that 'she did me a lot of good'.

Neil Young's Heart Of Gold is given a carbon copy treatment cos it's such a great song. Again, it's Kelly Jones' vocals that provide the point of difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment