Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Turn and face the strange (David Bowie)


Taking a break from the single countdown for the very first time (500 posts - quite a feat) for a sidebar post on David Bowie.

There have been some mightily impressive obituaries to the shock announcement of Ziggy's demise.

Unlike other rock stars who abuse their bodies and talents, David Bowie seemed somehow immortal. The other worldly qualities that saw him fall to earth in Brixton in humble circumstances remained with him until the last breath (and beyond).

Because of my age (58), my own youth and subsequent life has been sound tracked by Bowie songs starting in 1972 with Starman and the re release of Space Oddity. Although I need to point out that I'm not a Bowie obsessive, so I have a large number of his albums but not everything.

I did buy The Next Day on it's release and will definitely grab a copy of Blackstar when I get back to NZ in February.

The Guardian obit ended with this Bowie quote which I have copied to this post - sums up so much about the playful, intelligent, artful man whose death has diminished Planet Earth.

“My entire career, I’ve only really worked with the same subject matter. The trousers may change, but the actual words and subjects I’ve always chosen to write with are things to do with isolation, abandonment, fear and anxiety, all of the high points of one’s life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment