Monday, December 28, 2015

In the bone colored dawn, me and Gypsy Scotty are singin' (John Mellencamp) #498

John Mellencamp Key West Intermezzo (I Saw You First) (Edit)/ Like A Rolling Stone (Mercury, 1996)

Coincidentally I was listening to this and the parent album (Mr Happy Go Lucky) on a road trip recently and it's perfect music for that.

The clip clop rhythm, the great lyrics and the propulsive delivery reeks of road trip!


And there's the witty reference to a Cuban band 'crucifying John Lennon' (a cunningly ambiguous allusion to The Ballad Of John And Yoko, 'member?) 


Hidden gem: His version of Dylan's signature tune is spirited and faithful, as are most versions. 

Everyone who does this song, like The Stones, John Mayer and even Hendrix keep the same essential arrangement. I'm not sure why and I have no idea how else the song could be done - but you'd think someone would have had a different look by now.


Of them all, I think I prefer Dylan's original.


No comments:

Post a Comment