Thursday, August 8, 2024

Gulland rock (Gryphon) (LP 2664)

Gryphon  Midnight Mushrumps (CD, Sanctuary Records, 1974) ****  

GenreProgressive rock; Medieval folk rock (!) 

Places I remember: Fopp

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Midnight Mushrumps

Gear costume: The Ploughboy's Dream

Active compensatory factors: If the band name didn't clue you in, the cover certainly gives the game away.

The appeal for me is in the combination of medieval and the modern. Most of my university papers in English were in either of those camps. So, the idea of Gryphon is close to my heart. And the music doesn't disappoint.

I've heard this album many times and it just skips by, mainly because it's largely instrumental, but also because the first song goes for 18 minutes. Therefore, it's difficult to pick standout tracks because it all seems to flow seemlessly.

Where do they all belong? Will definitely be on the lookout for other Gryphon albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment