Sunday, August 18, 2024

Strode rode (Sonny Rollins) (LP 2676)

Sonny Rollins  Saxophone Colossus (Vinyl, Waxtime Records, 2019, original release - 1956) *****  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: My Music Taupo

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Strode Rode

Gear costume: Moritat

Active compensatory factors: I was thrilled to pick up a re-release of this landmark record (on blue vinyl even) on a recent holiday in Taupo. I always seem to find a big jazz album on my visits there!

Rollins' sixth studio album is widely regarded as one of his best, and therefore one of jazz' best. He's very relaxed and the band gel superbly.

In 2016, Saxophone Colossus was selected for preservation in the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Where do they all belong? A great addition to the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment