Thursday, June 9, 2022

Can't get it out of my head (Electric Light Orchestra) (LP 844)

Electric Light Orchestra  Eldorado (Vinyl, Jet Records, 1974) ***  

Genre: Prog rock

Places I remember: Godfrey's (Basildon)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Can't Get It Out Of My Head

Gear costume: Illusions In G Major 

Active compensatory factors: This one is subtitled A Symphony by the Electric Light Orchestra. And it is - complete with Overture and kitchen sink.

It's a brave attempt at that prog staple: a concept album. Jeff Lynne's story of a Walter Mitty style fantasist runs throughout but I don't really pay much attention to it as I listen. I find myself drifting off too many times during the album, actually.

The Beatles' influence is alive and well (as it would be throughout their career) and it's fun listening for the fabs' touches along the way.

Where do they all belong? A transitional album for me - bridging the heavy prog ELO of their first three albums and the commercial juggernaut albums that would come after it. The sumptuous Can't Get It Out Of My Head was pointing the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment