Saturday, June 24, 2023

Keep on sailing (Ian Matthews) (LP 1082-1083)

Ian Matthews  Valley Hi (Vinyl, Elektra Records, 1973) ****  

Ian Matthews  Stealin' Home (Vinyl, RTC Records, 1978) ***  

Genre: Country rock 

Places I remember: Amoeba Records (Hollywood) and Vinyl Countdown (New Plymouth)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: These Days (Valley Hi)

Gear costume: Shake It (Stealin' Home) 

Active compensatory factors
: I have a thing for Matthews' Southern Comfort and I love The Monkees, so when I saw a copy of Valley Hi at Amoeba and noticed it was produced by Mike Nesmith, it was a no brainer.

It's great. Red Rhodes on steel and dobro! How could it not be great. Add in Ian's warm smooth vocals and Nez on guitar and ace production and it's a genuine gem from 1973.

Stealin' Home, featuring the near hit, Shake It, is an attempt at a more pop sound and it works well after a shakey opening track. Again Ian surrounds himself with quality musicians. This time Rick Kemp and Pete Wingfield are on board.

Where do they all belong? If I had an Americana section in my collection, I'd file this album there because Ian skirts expertly around country, folk, pop genres on these albums (especially Stealin' Home).

No comments:

Post a Comment