Sunday, June 4, 2023

One day (at a time) (John Lennon) (LP 1073)

John Lennon  Mind Games (Vinyl and CD copies, Apple Records, 1973) *****  

Genre: Beatle pop, Apple Records

Places I remember: My first copy - a NZ pressing, came from DJ Records in Otahuhu, others have come from Chaldon Books and Records (UK pressings), JB Hi Fi and Real Groovy.
.
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Meat City

Gear costumeTight A$

Active compensatory factors: I remember buying this (and Ringo) so clearly - sitting in the car in Otahuhu and poring over the album notes and images. I loved it before even getting it home.

I wasn't disappointed when I placed it on my Garrard SP25 Mk 3 turntable. In fact I loved it more than my other Lennon albums to that point (and I really loved each one). I'm not sure why - maybe the love songs, maybe the messages to Yoko, maybe the hard edge to Meat City (that single with Move Over Ms L on the B side is awesomeness personified).

At the time, I didn't know the details of his personal life and the breakup with Yoko. All seemed well on the strength of these love songs to her (Move Over Ms L excepted), plus the music papers (Sounds) concentrated on music back in the day and not celebrity gossip.

I know it's not regarded highly these days, but back in 1973 there was no other album that I loved more. Of all his albums this is the one where I seek out different pressings, even budget versions. In my world, there is something magical about Mind Games.

Where do they all belong? Walls And Bridges and Rock 'n' Roll up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment