Monday, May 1, 2023

I'm coming home (Lionel Richie) (LP 1051)

Lionel Richie  Coming Home (CD, Island Def Jam, 2006) *** 

Genre: Soul 

Places I remember: I usually know precisely where I got my CDs and records, but I'm drawing a blank on this one. I have a vague feeling I won it in a competition, but it might have come from Lindsay Hope's collection, or else a bequeath from someone else along the way.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: All Around The World

Gear costume: Stand Down (an awesome Lionel Richie take on reggae)

Active compensatory factors: A bit of a shock this, I know. I own not one, but two Lionel Richie solo albums (and a Commodores' Greatest Hits)! The other one is a Richie compilation (called Back To Front) which doesn't qualify for the collection countdown.

Yes, I can be a music snob at times, and Lionel could be considered a guilty pleasure of sorts. But he should be celebrated for what he is - a brilliant singer!

This album sees him refreshing his sound for the new millennium by employing whip smart young folks to modernize his sound. And for me it works big time!

The smooth soul sound is most welcome! That voice is so easy!

Where do they all belong? The compilation is a great place to start as it includes his big hits with the Commodores as well as his solo successes.

No comments:

Post a Comment