Tuesday, May 23, 2023

I told you I couldn't stop (Jakob Dylan) (LP 1071)

Jakob Dylan  Seeing Things (CD, Columbia Records, 2008) ****  

Genre: Folk rock

Places I remember: Lindsay Hope's gift

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Valley Of The Low Sun

Gear costume: Something Good This Way Comes

Active compensatory factors: Jakob Dylan's first solo album is an assured folk rock collection. The acoustic guitars provide a consistent bedrock for Jakob's wordy approach.

It must be tough having a famous icon for a father but Jakob has managed to carve out a career in music without sounding like Bob or riding on that fame.

I prefer his solo material to the rockier version during The Wallflowers years. He feels more natural in solo mode, and Rick Rubin's sparse production works a treat as Jakob takes on guitar, bass and vocals pretty effortlessly.

Where do they all belong? A stand alone - I haven't followed his career too closely but I'm not averse to picking up more of his stuff at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment