Sunday, March 12, 2023

Jamming (Bob Marley) (LP 1008 - 1009)

Grover Washington, Jr.  Winelight (Vinyl, Elektra Records, 1980) ****  

Grover Washington, Jr.  Come Morning (Vinyl, Elektra Records, 1981) ****  

Genre: Modern jazz, smooth jazz, soul jazz

Places I remember: Marbecks Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Jamming (Come Morning)

Gear costume: Two Of Us (Winelight) 

Active compensatory factors
: I was working at Marbecks when I picked these up in the early eighties. That smooth soul jazz sound was all the rage.

I've hung onto them because they remind me of those times (blissful late Friday nights especially) and they still sound smooth. Jazz has moved on, into other areas and these now sound quite dated in some respects.

Grover's sax still sounds pretty cool to my ears and although I've highlighted the two popular tracks, most of the rest of these albums is all about cruisey soul jazz instrumentals.

Where do they all belong? A best of compilation is probably your best starting point. The Motown years one is slightly sharper in style but any will give a good taster.

No comments:

Post a Comment