Thursday, March 2, 2023

Funny funk (George Duke) (LP 1005)

George Duke  Feel (Vinyl, MPS Records, 1974) ***  

GenreJazz fusion 

Places I remember: Amoeba Records (Los Angeles)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Old Slippers

Gear costume: The Once Over 

Active compensatory factors: Truthfully, I wanted to find a copy of this because Zappa appears on two tracks (credited bizarrely as Obdewl'l X). 
I have kinda been underwhelmed by George's solo albums over the years. Given his brilliance on the Zappa albums this is always something of a mystery to me.

Feel has all the usual funny funk George Duke touches but is again not in the same league as his work with Frank. So - it's Zappa's leadership and direction and songs that are clearly the difference.

Old Slippers is a standout and not only because of Zappa's trademark smart as a whip guitar cameo. It's everything I love about the jazz fusion genre.  

I'm not much of a Flora Purim fan so her two Brazilian cool vocal tracks are not something I will be revisiting much.

Where do they all belong? And that will be it for George Duke solo albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment