Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Hello, hooray (Judy Collins) (LP 971)

Judy Collins  Who Knows Where The Time Goes (CD, Elektra Records, 1968) **  

GenreFolk rock 

Places I remember: The Warehouse 

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Pretty Polly

Gear costume: Hello Hooray

Active compensatory factors: I do like the purity of Miss Judy Blue Eyes' voice but I was a little too young to appreciate her records as they came out in the sixties and now my tastes have changed. So when I came to own this album many years after its release I did so out of interest rather than love.

When she opens the album with Hello Hooray I immediately struggle because I only know the Alice Cooper version (from Billion Dollar Babies). I'd never considered that Alice was doing a cover version.

Judy's version is great because it is radically different - almost a different song in her hands. But still - Alice's version lingers in my brain.

The backing is stellar with rock aristocracy appearing on various songs; Stephen Stills, Van Dyke Parks, Jim Gordon, Chris Ethridge and James Burton all make their presence felt.

Female vocal styles have changed a lot since her heyday, so post Joplin, Slick, Adele, Winehouse et al, Judy sounds very much of her time. Nothing wrong with that but it does limit my enjoyment - hence the two stars.

Where do they all belong? A stand alone in my collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment