Thursday, November 10, 2022

Keep a light on (Dave Dobbyn) (LP 955)

dave dobbyn  the islander (CD, Columbia Records, 1998) ***  

GenreNZ pop rock 

Places I remember: Vinyl Countdown (New Plymouth)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: waiting

Gear costume: beside you, blindman's bend (yes - everything about this album is in an unassuming lower case)

Active compensatory factors: This was a big one back in the last century - went number 1 in NZ, and, in retrospect, it's pretty clear why.

First of all everyone loves our national treasure (now Sir DD) and second of all it includes some great playing by the usual suspects (Neil Finn, Ross Burge, Ian Morris included) during, third of all, a fine collection of songs sacked in the experience of being a New Zealander.

The best of his solo albums? I'm not sure because, although I have three of them and have owned another two at various times, I'm not a huge fan (like my bros GK and KS). It's certainly my favourite if anyone is asking.

Where do they all belong? That's it for Sir David Dobbyn for now (I have kept coming back to him over the years so I may well add other albums by him to the collection yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment