Sunday, November 6, 2022

Crack rock (Frank Ocean) (LP 954)

Frank Ocean  channel ORANGE (CD, Island/ Def Jam, 2012) *** 

Genre: Soul

Places I remember: HMV Oxford St.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Lost 

Gear costume: Pyramids

Active compensatory factors: While visiting London from the Middle East, I bought this to see what all the fuss around Frank Ocean was about. Youth culture is hard to ignore while travelling around London.

I can see the attraction - offbeat songs, elliptical lyrics, and a smooth soul voice, Frank presents as a slightly eccentric one off. I didn't feel inspired to buy any other albums by him, so it's a one off for me too.

I can also truthfully say I don't listen to this album much. This is probably the third or fourth time I've listened all the way through.

This is mainly because I have a big collection and there are always other albums I'd rather listen to instead. Somehow the whole album lacks something for me to focus on: maybe it's the snippets of cinema verité he includes along the way; maybe it's all the various contributors; maybe it's the wide stylistic canvas - soul, pop, jazz, funk, psychedelic; maybe it's the length - it feels long and unfocussed to me!

Where do they all belong? Lou Rawls is next up in the soul section.

No comments:

Post a Comment