Tuesday, June 28, 2022

I've got my Mojo working (Muddy Waters) (LP 849 - 850)

Muddy Waters Muddy Waters at Newport 1960 (Vinyl, Waxtime Records, 1960 - 2013 repress) ***** 

Muddy Waters  Folk Singer (Vinyl, DOL, 1964 - 2013 repress) ***** 

Genre: Blues

Places I remember: My Music (Taupo)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Got My Mojo Working (Fantastic footage from Newport on that clip)

Gear costume: That Same thing

Active compensatory factors
: Many years ago, in the early eighties, some good friends of mine - Clay and Margo, gave me a cassette copy of Folk Singer

Woh! It was a revelation. I knew about Muddy Waters from the Band's Last Waltz, some blues compilations, and my music books, but I hadn't experienced anything like Folk Singer before.

Initially I thought this album of acoustic blues was a kind of field recording from the thirties or forties - it was a shock to learn years later that it was from 1964!

On a recent trip to Taupo I saw these two reissues and snapped them up.

The Newport album is beyond superlatives. The band is smokin' and Muddy? Incredible! Muddy at his best is as good as it gets! Just check out those dance moves at the end of that Mojo Workin' clip!

How good is that version? So good he does two incendiary versions of Got My Mojo Working back to back!!

Where do they all belong? Genius level music. Authentic genius. Muddy is the man!

No comments:

Post a Comment