Saturday, June 25, 2022

Pass it on (Lone Justice) (LP 848)

Lone Justice  Lone Justice (Vinyl, Geffen Records, 1985) ***  

Genre: Country rock

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records (Auckland))

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Ways To Be Wicked

Gear costume: Pass It On

Active compensatory factors: Based on their appearance in a documentary on Route 66, I bought this back in '85, subsequently sold it, then, just lately, had an itch to scratch so bought it again.

And was underwhelmed all over again - it's good, but I want it to be better than it is! 

This is not a rare occurrence for me - selling a record and buying it back years later. Mostly I have a different reaction because the songs are usually like old friends I haven't seen for ages. But on rare occasions, as with Lone Justice, I realise anew why I sold it on.

Maria McKee is a passionate lead vocalist, she looks the part, and she sounds appropriate on these country rock stylings but there's something strident and forced that still sticks in my craw, unfortunately. 

Where do they all belong? I'll keep it (I don't sell anything anymore) but I can't see too many repeat listens in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment