Saturday, April 2, 2022

Preachin' love (Donovan) (LP 815)

Donovan  Donovan In Concert (Vinyl, Epic Records, 1968) ****  

GenreFolk rock 

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Poor Cow

Gear costume: Preachin' Love

Active compensatory factors: Only Donovan's sixth album, and his first live album, this is a gem - Donovan in acoustic and jazzy settings live at The Anaheim Convention Center (sic).

He sounds great too. And Scottish! I mean, I knew he was Scottish but hearing his inflections in Widow With Shawl sounds especially appropriate, natural, and great.

My only slight issue as a live album is the sometimes obvious edits after songs into the next selection. Suspension of disbelief - that I am actually at the concert, is important for my enjoyment. But that's just me.

Where do they all belong? I keep adding to the Donovan section in my collection. This one came from a recent trip to Auckland for meetings; I had to stop off at Real Groovy before meeting some old mates for dinner. Couldn't believe my luck with this one - very good condition for 1968 and only $10 - what are the odds on that?

No comments:

Post a Comment