Monday, April 11, 2022

Out of control (Eagles) (LP 818)

Eagles  Desperado (Vinyl, Asylum Records, 1973) *** 

Genre: Country rock

Places I remember: Marbecks Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Outlaw Man

Gear costume: Doolin Dalton 

Active compensatory factors: Outside of a greatest hits collection this is the only Eagles album I have on vinyl.

I bought this one seduced by the cover and the vague Old West concept that settles over the record - with Doolin Dalton book ending the album a la Sgt Peppers, and Desperado also getting a reprise. There are also tracks like Outlaw Man, Bitter Creek and Tequila Sunrise that add to the western mythology.

Curious that I was not seduced into buying more Eagles product. On the surface all that laid back California bliss is right up my alley. I'd blame my reaction to Hotel California for that slowdown with Eagles.

An overhyped album and Joe Walsh as an Eagle? James Gang? Sure. Solo guitar slinger? Yes please! But not an Eagle. And I still don't own a copy of either Hotel California or Rumours. Just sayin'.

Where do they all belong? A nice addition to the country rock section but not essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment