Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Don't fence me in (Willie Nelson, Leon Russell) (LP 748)

Willie Nelson and Leon Russell  One For The Road (Vinyl, CBS Records, 1979) ** 

Genre: Country

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Heartbreak Hotel

Gear costume: Trouble In Mind 

Active compensatory factors: I had no idea what to expect when I bought this. I've been on a Leon Russell kick for a while and his albums can be hit and miss but I wasn't prepared for Willie Nelson to dominate these four sides so much.

I'm surprised Leon even gets a co-billing. The second album is all Willie, doing songs arranged by Leon (trust me for not reading the fine print).

Sides one and two are the two together (but not live as I'd assumed) with Willie pretty much singing everything so it's not quite what it says on the tin.

Where do they all belong? In my very small country section. I can't see myself listening to this ever again but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment