Monday, December 27, 2021

All rise again (Blackberry Smoke) (LP 770)

Blackberry Smoke  You Hear Georgia (Vinyl, 3 Legged Records, 2021) *** 

GenreSouthern rock 

Places I remember: JB Hi Fi (Palmerston North)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: All Over The Road

Gear costume: Live It Down

Active compensatory factors: The boys do another good job on this their seventh album. I have the other six on CD and so it's nice to finally get one on vinyl.

The songs aim for a lot more variety this time around - Ain't The Same leans towards country-rock, Lonesome For A Living embraces country and Hey Delilah owes a debt to Little Feat and clearly Oh Atlanta was the blueprint. These guys aren't Little Feat though so it doesn't quite work for me.

The familiar southern rock style of Blackberry Smoke is also present and correct (Live It Down).

Where do they all belong? That's it for Blackberry Smoke. Will I buy any more of their albums? I'm not sure, to tell the truth. I feel they are moving slowly towards all round entertainer status or Zac Brown country style pop/rock  but if they do another song like Let It Burn, then you betcha - I'll get back onboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment