Wednesday, September 1, 2021

You're my thrill (Diana Krall) (LP 688 - 690)

Diana Krall  The Girl In the Other Room (CD, Verve Records, 2004) *** 

Diana Krall  Quiet Nights (CD, Verve Records, 2009) **

Diana Krall  Wallflower (CD, Verve Records, 2011) *** 

GenreJazz vocal 

Places I remember: My dad's music collection

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles
: Love Me Like A Man (TGITOR)

Gear costume: Narrow Daylight (TGITOR); Alone Again, Naturally (Wallflower) with Michael Bublé.

Active compensatory factors: I'm hanging on to these CDs for my dad's sake. She was certainly his thrill, but she's not mine.

I like a few of her songs, usually in a small jazz combo setting, but generally the strings and hushed intimate vocals (at their peak on Quiet Nights) does little for me. 

The Girl In The Other Room
hangs together pretty well as a collection of songs and Wallflower is notable for her covering of some singer/songwriters like Jim Croce, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Elton, Leon Russell and bands like The Eagles, The Beatles, and The Mamas And The Papas. Patchy is probably the verdict from me.

When it works it works (I Can't Tell You Why, Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word) but when it doesn't, it doesn't (I'm Not In Love, California Dreamin', In My Life).

Where do they all belong? This brings to a close Canadian jazz pianist Diana Krall's collection that I inherited from my dad. Some live Frank Sinatra is next up in this sub-genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment