Monday, September 6, 2021

The sun whose rays (Keith Jarrett) (LP 691 - 692)

Keith Jarrett  The Köln Concert (CD, ECM Records, 1975) ***** 

Keith Jarrett  La Fernice (CD, ECM Records, 2018) ***

GenreECM Jazz 

Places I remember: Music shop in Paris - by the lower entrance to the Louvre (Köln Concert); HMV - Oxford St. (La Fernice)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperbolesGear costume: All of 
Köln Concert. 

Active compensatory factors
: I have mentioned Jarrett's legendary live concert in Cologne on Goo Goo before but not this live in Italy album from 2018 - La Fernice.

Although both concerts rank high on the amazing-o-meter, live in Cologne is particularly breathtaking.

It's really odd how a double album of solo piano playing can be so mesmerising, but it manages it. I never get tired of hearing it and it's never less than thrilling to chuck it on.

The comparative variety of approaches on La Fernice doesn't have that immediate impact for me, and I sense that I will need to come back to it quite a few times for it to seep into my consciousness.

Where do they all belong? It's in the ECM jazz section. These albums are sort of jazz and sort of not so grouping them together makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment