Monday, January 6, 2020

You send me (Aretha Franklin) (LP 361 - 365)

Aretha Franklin I Never Loved A man The Way I Love You (CD, Atlantic/Rhino, 1967) *****
Aretha Franklin Lady Soul (CD, Atlantic/Rhino, 1968) *****
Aretha Franklin Aretha Now (CD, Atlantic/Rhino, 1968) *****
Aretha Franklin Spirit In The Dark (CD, Atlantic/Rhino, 1970) ****
Aretha Franklin Aretha Live At Fillmore West (CD, Atlantic/Rhino, 1971) ***

Genre: Soul 

Places I remember: HMV East Croydon, London


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: A Change Is Gonna Come (from I never Loved...)





Gear costume:  So many other highlights on these albums: Do Right Woman-Do Right Man; Save Me; Chain Of Fools; Groovin'; Think: Say A Little Prayer; See Saw; The Thrill Is Gone; Pullin'...and on it goes 

Active compensatory factors: Aretha's passing in 2018 prompted me to buy this 5 CD package (ridiculously cheap it was too, from HMV in the dreaded East Croyden).


Until then I'd been using a vinyl Greatest Hits album for my Aretha go to.

In summary: the three late sixties albums are peerless and indispensible if you want to understand why she is forever the Queen of Soul, the early seventies albums are great as well but those sixties albums cast a huge shadow.

The live album has its moments but I can live without the lengthy Ray Charles section.

Where do they all belong? At the pinnacle of soul music.

No comments:

Post a Comment