Sunday, November 24, 2019

Goin' out of my head (Peter Nero) (LP 351)

Peter Nero I'll Never Fall In Love Again (Vinyl, Columbia, 1970) ** 

Genre: Easy listening

Places I remember: Another album inherited from my father's record collection.


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Something


Gear costume:  I 'll Never Fall In Love Again, Lay Lady Lay 

Active compensatory factors: Seemingly, the sort of album hip youngish executives put on the hi fi as they loosened their tie and made a gin and tonic after a day of meetings at work in Otahuhu while kids did their homework and their wife got dinner ready.


In 1970, my dad would have been 42 and my mother 40. At 12 years old, I was a naive and innocent bystander. My 10 year old brother was just annoying.

Yes indeed, this album is a memory bomb. Drop the needle on that first track, Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head, and I'm back in the bosom of the Purdy family at 18 Korma Ave., Royal Oak, Auckland, NZ, Earth, the Solar System, The Universe.

At that time this kind of music washed over me. I was listening to the real thing on The Beatles Hey Jude album in 1970 - well the few weeks of 1970 after Christmas that is.

Now I listen to this album with a nostalgic tear in my eye for those much simpler days when I had my family intact around me! It's tough being a grown up. And I miss my mum and dad.


Where do they all belong? At the time I completely failed to notice what a distinguished musician Peter Nero was. Such is youth! 

I'll never ever get rid of this album! It sits happily in the Easy Listening section of my collection along with George Shearing, Herb Alpert et al.

No comments:

Post a Comment