Wednesday, March 27, 2019

We'll let you know (King Crimson) (LP 302-303)

King Crimson Earthbound (Vinyl - Island, 1972) ***
King Crimson Starless And Bible Black (CD - Island, 1974) ***

Genre: Progressive rock  

Places I remember: Earthbound came from Flashback Records on the Essex Road, close to Upper Street, Highbury/Islington, while Starless And Bible Black came from JB HiFi in Palmerston North, NZ.  


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: 21st Century Schizoid Man (live version from Earthbound). I couldn't find that one youtube so here's a brilliant version featuring Greg Lake on vocals.





Gear costume: The Great Deceiver (Starless And Bible Black)  

Active compensatory factors: Old friends,Margo and Clay, clued me into these albums back in the early eighties. They gave me a coverless copy of Earthbound and I listened with open mouthed awe to the scungy, ragged version of 21st Century Schizoid Man.


Although two years apart, in my brain these albums are closely aligned. Most of Starless is based on live material, albeit better recorded than the brutal lowfi approach of Earthbound. But that too has its own charms.

Forty years later and KC's prog rock still astounds.

Where do they all belong? My KC collection is patchy - I have their first two albums featuring Greg Lake and these two. Their catalogue is quite daunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment