Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Let your hair hang down (The Tremeloes) (LP 301)

The Tremeloes Here Come The Tremeloes (Vinyl - CBS, 1967) ***

Genre: English pop  

Places I remember: Chaldon Books and Records 


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Here Comes My Baby





Gear costumeEven The Bad Times Are Good

Active compensatory factors: I had this on watch for a few months in Chaldon Books and Records up on the hill (sadly - my last visit before we head back to NZ was on Saturday). It had a sticker on it saying that it had been played a lot but was still good.


I hummed and harred each time I went in for months - when I eventually checked it looked like some surface marks, so it was ultimately worth a risk. Eventually my love of The Tremeloes and the fear that someone else would snap it up outweighed any misgivings re quality of the disc.

I needn't have worried - no surface clicks or anything! Pretty remarkable for a record that has been played for 40ish years!

Here Come My Baby is the standout, of course. I've written about it before (remarkably I glossed over the bad miming on the video): it really is an amazing song - the lead out track here and the de facto album title.

The rest? Well it varies from good filler to very good filler before ending with another knock-about hit - Even The Bad Times Are Good.

Where do they all belong? Firmly in the pantheon of stellar 1967 pop moments with Here Comes My Baby!  

No comments:

Post a Comment