Monday, October 29, 2018

Yeah you know (Anna Burch) (LP 274)

Anna Burch Quit The Curse (Digital download, 2018) **

Genre: American alt-pop 

Places I remember: Eleri's turn on MNAC 


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Tea Soaked Letter (nice jangly early REM)





Gear costume: Belle Isle (with it's quirky pedal steel)

Active compensatory factors: Unfortunately, I had a mix tape on the car sound system as I cruised back from Wales during my half term break. 


I think it was on Wozza's Road Mix Vol 5 that Phoebe Buffay from Friends joined the party with her dirge about her mother (Snowman, which came straight after I'll Be There For You on my mix tape).

You remember the one: 

I made a man with eyes of coal
and a smile so bewitchin'.
How was I supposed to know
that my mom was dead in the kitchen?



Unfortunate because aspects of Anna's vocal style remind me of Phoebe. It can't be helped. 

Once that lodged in my brain, Anna was done for.

That said, on side 1, Anna Burch's music is lovely and her songs are sparkling in an alternative pop kind of way (there's a sprinkling of folk and country at times too).

Side 2 isn't as bright though and the Phoebe-isms came back to haunt me again and again.

Where do they all belong? All up it's a meh rating for me, sorry Eleri, and I'll pass on Anna Burch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment