Thursday, October 11, 2018

Burning bridges (Mike Curb Congregation)

The Mike Curb Congregation Burning Bridges (song, 1971) ***

Genre: American pop  

Places I remember: It's October 1970 and I'm watching Kelly's Heroes in the movie theatre. It's my 13th birthday movie choice. Pretty sure this was the last time I celebrated my birthday with a trip to the movies.


Why this song now? I rewatched the film last night (bought the DVD from HMV).

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles/Gear costume: Just the song this week

Active compensatory factors: On the back of the film, this song was huge in New Zealand - #1 for two weeks in March 1971.


I didn't buy the single, but I'd seen the film and loved the song - it was all over the radio.

The song appealed because of the cultural association to the film and it's a cool pop song, solidly within the lines of the early seventies. The Cowsills, The Partridge Family, Edison Lighthouse - there were tons of bands sounding like this in 1970.

Weirdly (for 2018), the song plays three times in the movie - opening and closing credits and about the middle (!) over a platoon on the move in trucks scene.


Where do they all belong? Interestingly, it's very much of its time - there are lingering sixties sensibilities and pop music in the seventies was going to quickly leave Mike Curb behind (glam, disco, then punk made him redundant).

No comments:

Post a Comment