Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Makin' whoopee (Red Garland) (LP 273)

Red Garland A Garland Of Red (CD - Avid Jazz, 1956) ****

Genre: Jazz 

Places I remember: Fopp (Covent Garden) 


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: A Foggy Day





Gear costume:   What Is This Thing Called Love?

Active compensatory factors: I love Radio 2 (from the Beeb Beeb Ceeb). I was listening to it in a hotel room recently and Jamie Cullum had a show, during which he played a Red Garland track.


It fit my mood perfectly - an up tempo piano jazz piece, and I was on a mission.

Vinyl is always preferable so I tried Chaldon Records and Books, the jazz racks at Foyles by Fopp in Covent Garden, but no luck.

Retracing my steps back to Fopp I picked this up, along with three other Garland albums on CD.

I'm not sure how I haven't been captured by him before. It's the kind of jazz my dad would have liked in the mid fifties before I came along, but he also didn't own any of Red's albums. Instead, dad went for the more cerebral Dave Brubeck. 

A pity - Red's the real deal.

Nevermind - it's great to make the discovery now, all thanks to Jamie Cullum!

Where do they all belong? Red's a shining star within the jazz world. 

1 comment: