Thursday, February 1, 2018

The beautiful young crew (Lawrence Arabia) (LP 189)


Lawrence Arabia Chant Darling (CD - Honorary Bedouin Records, 2009) ***

Genre:  NZ music

Places I remember:  Fopp (London)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Apple Pie Bed. With its Beatle echoes, Apple Pie Bed is superior and classic pop. 




Gear costumeThe Crew of the Commodore, The Beautiful Young Crew

Active compensatory factors: Ironic: As a kiwi, I was living in Doha, visiting London when I found this CD by my countryman, James Milne, who records as Lawrence Arabia.

A very favourable review in Mojo magazine had lead me on a search of Qatar's music outlets. It was a long shot. But Fopp in London was on the money, as usual.

I confess, it's taken time for me to unlock the joys of Chant Darling. At times, its Nu Zild pop style musical wackiness takes some aural adjustment, frinstance Auckland CBD Part Two, but the effort pays off.

Where do they all belong? Lawrence Arabia has a distinctive place in the NZ music landscape. Absolute Truth is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment