Sunday, February 11, 2018

Rock steady (Bad Company) (LP 191)

Bad Company Bad Company (CD - Swan Song, 1974) *** 

Genre:  English pop/rock

Places I remember: JB HiFi (Hamilton)  

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Bad Company




Gear costume:  Can't Get Enough

Active compensatory factors: True fact: I am a latecomer to Bad Company. 

In theory I should have gobbled up the debut in 1974 but I was a teenager and so my priorities and my hard earned pocket money went in other directions.  Then when I had some spare cash and the opportunity in the late seventies I'd moved on via punk/ new wave and Paul Rogers and Co. seemed a little passe.

Listening to the whole album now suggests I didn't really miss that much. I love the singles from this album and from Straight Shooter - great guitar crunch and vocals, however, the album tracks are good but not great rock.

Paul Rogers, of course, stands out with his rock cool vocal style. Clearly with Bad Company he found a real home.

Where do they all belong? The Firm (Paul Rogers and Jimmy Page) is the closest next step I have. I'll get to it eventually when I'm back cruising through the vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment