Sunday, September 25, 2016

Nudge nudge (Monty Python) (LP 48)

Monty Python Live at Drury Lane (Vinyl - Charisma, 1974) ****

Genre: Comedy

Places I remember: Marbecks Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Election Special segues into Lumberjack Song stand out (but plenty to choose from here).






Gear costume: So many wonderful routines here - Bruces, Secret Service, Four Yorkshiremen, Parrot Sketch.

Active compensatory factors: Comedy records are usually fraught with problems. Familiarity breeds contempt...usually.

And there are, of course, no visuals with a sound recording. 

Monty Python inhabit a different universe, however. I can listen to these sketches over and over again, even though I know them off by heart (as my generation all have done).

Listening to this again in 2016 still made me laugh, a lot. The Election Special skit has not aged at all!!

Where do they all belong? The Goons, Robin Williams, The Marx Brothers - they all mine a surreal brand of humour that I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment