Monday, June 20, 2016

Lumiere du silence (Anour Brahem) (LP 14)

Anouar Brahem Conte de l'incroyable amour (CD - ECM, 1992) ****

Genre:  Jazz

Places I remember:  Virgin Megastore, Dubai Mall, in 2011.


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: The title track is amazing - great atmospheric clarinet and oud interplay. 


Gear costume: Epilogue is a stunning solo oud piece. Brahem's on fire!
  



Active compensatory factors: Anour Brahem is the Jimi Hendrix of the oud. The what?



That's an oud - a kind of lute/guitar style instrument, big in the Middle East. Anour Brahem is from Tunisia and he records for ECM - impressed? You should be!

Haven't heard his stuff? I'm not surprised. If I hadn't lived in the U.A.E. for a few years I wouldn't have come across him either. I was talking to Hisham, one of the English teachers at school, who was from Tunisia, and our conversation turned to music (as it often does with me), and pretty soon he was recommending Anour Brahem. It was a great find.

Recommended listening mode: Middle Eastern dusk, candles burning, memory of the day's warmth burning brightly!


Where do they all belong? I think Brahem is the only oud player who features in my collection but stick around I have loads of his other albums to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment