Thursday, May 10, 2012

Oh yesterday came suddenly (Paul Ramone)

There is something very reassuring about being surrounded by familiar objects. I speak of my record collection, of course.

 
It's a rainy old day throughout the length and breadth of Nu Zild and I'm at home in Abbey Road Two with some old friends - John Paul George and Ringo to name a few.

 
The Wings Over America live triple album (remember them?) seemed to pick itself. I'm up to side four. Side three featured acoustic versions of some Beatle favourites: I've Just Seen A Face, Blackbird and Yesterday. Side four is classic Wings.

 
I love live albums - especially triples - tons of room to wig out and throw in surprises like the rare live outing of Go Now. Buying a triple album was always a treat anyway. Three albums, six sides, in the one package!! Woh daddy.

 
My top triple live albums (no doubles or CDs allowed!)
  • The Concert For Bangla Desh
  • Wings Over America
  • Yessongs
  • Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends - Ladies and Gentlemen: Emerson Lake & Palmer
  • Woodstock
  • No Nukes - The MUSE Concerts For A Non-nuclear Future
The thing with the Wings' triple is that Macca's genius gets the proper treatment. So many great songs over those six sides - even allowing for the generosity that resulted in Denny Laine getting a few spots centre stage.

 
My favourite moments - the one two punch of Silly Love Songs and Beware My Love on side five with Paul playing some stonking bass guitar. Silly... is not one of my favourite Macca moments generally, but this version rocks with some great brass behind the bass and a really nice harmony section.

Next post - that brilliant No Nukes triple. What a line up!

No comments:

Post a Comment