Sunday, February 28, 2010

Can you feel it? Rockin' the city (Hard-Fi)

Wow - had a great trip to London and Brugges over the last two weeks - hence the gap in posts. Have come back with a lot of new CDs to put onto the p-pod from visits to FOPP and HMV. I'll write about these over the next few posts.

Before I do though - here's a list I made before I left. It contains bands/artists that I could not find in Doha (yes I've looked) and contains interesting things either I've been keen to listen to or buy if I could. Here's the list for what it's worth. Sorry - it's in alphabetical order too - for when I search bins. I'm old school - I know I could order these on line but there is a thrill in finally tracking them down in real record stores (okay CD) that I still feel. The o = CDs I knew were good and definitely wanted, the ? = ones I was not sure about (ie I hadn't heard them - just read about them in Mojo)

0 The Bourne soundtracks (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum)
o Bright Eyes - Wide awake
? Bo Ningen
? Beach House - Teen dream
? Bill Calahan - Sometimes I wish...
? Neko Case
o Kathleen Edwards
o The Ed Palermo Big Band - Ed Loves Frank
? Elbow - Seldom seen kid
? Florence and the Machine - Lungs
? Grizzly Bear
? Grand Avenue - Place to fall
? Lawrence Arabia - Chant Darling
? Megafaun
? Midlake
? Om
o Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band - Between my head and the sky
o Queens of the Stoneage - Songs for the deaf/ Rated R
? Radiohead - Kid A
o Seasick Steve - Started out with nothing
? Eliot Smith - Figure 8
? Strokes - Is this it?
? The Soundtrack of our lives - Behind the music
o Turbo Fruits
o The Unthanks
o Vetiver
? World Party - Dumbing up
? The XX

And the ECM jazz list:

o Jan Garbarek/Bobo Stenson - Wichita Tai to
o Jarrett - Koln concert (to replace a cassette tape that's worn out)
o Anouar Brahem - Le Pas du chat noir
? Barre Philips - Mountainscapes
? John Surman - Brewsters Rooster
? Charles Lloyd - Rado de niebe
? David Holland Quartet - Conference of the birds

My intention was never to buy all of these. Just search and if they were cheap then I'd snap them up. FOPP of course is the best place to start, but FIVES in Leigh-on-sea was my haunt as well so that was worth a visit and failing these there was always Oxford St.'s HMV.

Over the next few posts I'll tell you all how I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment