Thursday, January 14, 2021

Smiley Faces (Gnarls Barclay) (LP 544)

Gnarls Barclay St. Elsewhere (CD, Warner Bros, 2006) ***

Genre: Soul

Places I remember: The Warehouse New Plymouth

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Crazy

Gear costume: Who Cares? 

Active compensatory factors: Gnarls Barclay is a duo
, made up of singer-songwriter CeeLo Green and producer Brian Burton a.k.a. Danger Mouse.

Crazy was the entry point - that song was all over the radio in 2006 (yes I was still listening to the radio - BBC Radio 2 back then). Every time I turned it on in the car - there was Crazy. It was, erm, weird!

The rest of the album is disappointing for me though. It was very successful in 2006 but the disjointed freaky beat style isn't to my taste really. I'm not sure it's stood the test of time either - it's production style is very distinctively set in the 2000s.

Crazy though - that's the real deal!

Where do they all belong? Isaac Hayes is up next in the soul genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment