Sunday, November 20, 2016

I feel like singing (Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks) (LP 66)

Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks Where's the Money? (Vinyl - ABC Blue Thumb, 1971) ***

Genre: Country

Places I remember: Amoeba Records, Haight Street, San Francisco. Cost me $1.99! Yeah baby!

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Is this my happy home?




Gear costume: By Hook or By Crook.




Active compensatory factors: This is good timey, funky folkie music that blends all sorts of genres - bluegrass, country, folk, swing and pop.

It is often smiley face funny as well.

Especially on this, a live album. Dan's dry stage announcements remind me a little of the laconic Neil Young delivery at his early solo concerts.

It was perfect that I got this on our first visit to San Francisco - Haight St. - Amoeba Records. 

Good times and good rockin' tonite are guaranteed.  

Where do they all belong? Hard to characterise Dan Hicks but for me he slots in right along side other wonderful fringe weirdos like Commander Cody. Chuck in some Asleep at the Wheel country licks for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment