Saturday, April 13, 2024

Paint it black (The Rolling Stones) (LP 2475)

Eric Burdon and War  The Black-Man's Burdon (Vinyl, Avenue Records, 1970) ****  

Genre: Rock, jazz/funk

Places I remember: JB Hi Fi. I'd been looking at this box set of the three Eric Burdon and War albums for months. It was a Record Store Day item and I already have copies of Love Is All Around and the first album - Eric Burdon Declares "War" on CD. When it didn't sell, they reduced the price and I decided to take advantage of the extra 20% off for Easter. I hadn't been able to ever find a decent second hand copy - this was definitely a party album back in 1970 - so I bit the bullet.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Paint It Black medley

Gear costume: Spirit

Active compensatory factors: This was the second album Eric made with War. It's a double and he and the band stretch out brilliantly over the four sides (or noodle endlessly depending on your proclivities).

It's a great set, maybe not as great as their first album but I've lived with that for much longer. 

It's the sort of album I know I'll return to often, and find new stuff on it each time. For now the immediate interest is with the versions of Paint It Black and Nights In White Satin - both obviously chosen for their black and whiteness.

Where do they all belong? Only one album I'm after now from Eric - Animalism from 1966 (not to be confused with Animalisms, also from 1966!)

No comments:

Post a Comment