Sunday, April 14, 2024

Needles in the camel's eye (Eno ) (LP 2476)

Brian Eno  Here Come The Warm Jets (CD, Virgin Records, 1974) ****  

GenrePop rock 

Places I remember: Fopp

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Here Come The Warm Jets

Gear costume: Needles In A Camel's Eye 

Active compensatory factors: I don't know what to make of Eno. I hear echoes of Roxy Music on Here Come The Warm jets, his debut solo album, but it's fleeting. Is he a musician even? He has described himself as a non-musician but he played keyboards for Roxy Music. He strikes me more as an ideas man, a presence, an enabler and a serial collaborator. And yet he pops out solo albums in a bunch of genres.

Mostly this is experimental pop, with a lot of avant-garde touches and a lot of guest musicians. It certainly sounds like many of New Zealand's Dunedin bands were paying attention. Many of the songs remind me of sounds made by Toy Love/ Tall Dwarfs/ Chris Knox, especially. Needles In A Camel's Eye sounds so much like a long lost Toy Love song!

I played this album continually for days trying to get a fix on it for this review and it kept slipping through my fingers. It's an album to appreciate, rather than enjoy, in my case.

Where do they all belong? Apart from Roxy Music and some ambient stylings - that's it for solo Eno in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment