Sunday, March 13, 2022

Awaiting on you all (George Harrison) (LP 811)

George Harrison and Friends  The Concert For Bangla Desh (Vinyl, Apple Records - NZ pressing, 1971) *****  

Genre: Beatle pop/rock

Places I remember: DJ Records (Otahuhu)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: It Don't Come Easy (Ringo et al)

Gear costume: Here Comes The Sun (George and Pete Ham)

Active compensatory factors: Along with the triple All Things Must Pass, this was easily the most lavish purchase I made as a young teenager back in 1971.

It came in a box for one thing! Wowsers. A triple record set! And it had a big colour 63-page booklet. Ecstasy. And it was on Apple Records! Oh boy! 

It seemed impossible that I could actually own it but yet here it was playing on my Garrard SP 25 Mk 3 turntable in my bedroom at 18 Korma Ave., Auckland, New Zealand.

It's an expansive set that shows George's generosity of spirit - not only for the people of Bangla Desh (that almost goes without saying) but he allows Bob Dylan and Ravi Shankar a third of the triple album, plus Ringo, Leon Russell, and Billy Preston also feature. No hogging the limelight for George - the supposed quiet Beatle who put out two triple albums in the early seventies.

The set itself weaves a certain type of magic over its six sides. It seemed vast to me in 1971 and I was staggered when the film of the concert came out on DVD and they were shown all playing close together on a small stage.

Where do they all belong? It's a landmark benefit concert and although I seldom play it these days, it is a lavish bedrock of my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment