Saturday, November 13, 2021

Behind that locked door (George Harrison) (LP 741)

George Harrison  All Things Must Pass (Vinyl, Apple Records, 1970) ***** 

Genre: Apple Records/ pop-rock

Places I remember: DJ Records (Otahuhu). This is one of those albums I saved up for and dad got for me on his way home from work in Otahuhu while I was at school.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Awaiting On You All

Gear costume: Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)

Active compensatory factors: For three sides this is peerless, brilliant music from George and friends. The fourth side is, quite frankly, filler. I Dig Love and a reworked Isn't It A Pity don't cut it really, but by side 4 you are past caring because the quality is so consistently high on sides 1 to 3.

The jam album (sides 5 and 6) I can do without - it's jamming after all, and I don't really think about it as part of ATMP, but it's nice to have all the same

It's those first 3 sides that do it. All killer! 

Beginning with the Dylan co-written I'd Have You Anytime, through the pop master classes of What Is Life?, My Sweet Lord (regardless of subsequent baggage this is a GH song - end of), Isn't It A Pity, Apple Scruffs and on to the other worldly Hear Me Lord, Beware Of Darkness and, always my favourite track - Awaiting On You All.

The variety and consistency is outstanding - the tracks I haven't mentioned already would be another artist's greatest moments. 

Obviously, there were hints in The Beatles (Something, Here Comes The Sun) that George was special, but clearly this amount of stunning songs in one place was a major surprise. Lennon/McCartney were the genius Beatles weren't they? Ringo and George were the lucky ones weren't they? Well, that was the received wisdom for a while.

Haha!! No way - George and, yes, Ringo, have unique talents as musicians and writers. All Things Must Pass is just the first outstanding example of that in George's case.

Where do they all belong? I haven't bothered with the reissue editions - I don't want to detract from the original experience of this classic album. Don't want to see behind the curtain for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment