Monday, June 21, 2021

The feeling of jazz (Duke Ellington) (LP 628)

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane  Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Vinyl, Waxtime Records, Originally 1962, this reissue 2013) ***** 

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: My Music (music store in Taupo)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Stevie

Gear costume: In A Sentimental Mood 

Active compensatory factors: I am a Coltrane fan, rather than a collector (his body of work is vast and I shy away from the free jazz material). 

My dad was a big fan of the big bands and swing so he had a few of Duke Ellington's albums so I was vaguely familiar with his music.

Given all that, when I saw this in My Music's jazz bins during a recent visit to Taupo I decided to have a punt. 

Wow! What an album. I've been playing it a lot since that visit to Taupo.

Even though it features only one Coltrane 'song' it's more his album than Duke's. Mainly that's down to Coltrane's dominant tenor sax and side men (Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones feature along with Sam Woodyard and Aaron Bell).

But really it's right to bill it as a Duke Ellington and John Coltrane album as Duke plays some superb piano, composes most of the tunes and is never overshadowed.

A great find!

Where do they all belong? A one off (in many ways)

No comments:

Post a Comment